05/22/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 05/22/2026 13:02
Project will upgrade the park's playground, basketball courts, and handball courts
NYC Parks Queens Borough Commissioner Jacqueline Langsam was joined by Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, City Councilmember Sandra Ung, and members of the Flushing community on May 21 to break ground on the reconstruction of Captain Mario Fajardo Playground in Queens.
"We are proud to bring this transformation to Captain Mario Fajardo Playground and to the Flushing community that depends on it every day," said NYC Parks Queens Borough Commissioner Jacqueline Langsam. "This reconstruction reflects our commitment to creating recreational spaces that are safe, inclusive, and welcoming for New Yorkers of all ages and abilities. From the redesigned playground and updated courts to improved lighting and accessibility, every element of this project was designed with the community in mind. At Parks, we believe every neighborhood deserves green spaces that meet the needs of all who use them, and Captain Mario Fajardo Playground is a wonderful example of that vision becoming a reality."
"As Memorial Day approaches, it is most fitting that we break ground on the reconstruction of a park that pays tribute to Captain Mario Fajardo, a true hero who came to America as a young immigrant and ultimately gave his life while fighting to preserve the freedoms we as Americans enjoy," said Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. "When completed, this reconstruction of Captain Mario Fajardo Park will create an incredible recreational space that will superbly serve the needs of Flushing residents for a long, long time. I know that Captain Fajardo's sacrifice will be remembered and honored by all those who will soon being enjoying the first-class park that will be worthy of bearing Captain Fajardo's name.
"This project will transform Captain Mario Fajardo Park with reconstructed playgrounds, basketball courts, and handball courts that will better serve residents for years to come," said New York City Council Deputy Leader Sandra Ung. "These improvements will ensure that children have modern and safe places to play, athletes have quality courts to enjoy, and the entire community has a beautiful outdoor space to take pride in. I look forward to the day when we can officially reopen this park to the public and see families, children, and neighbors once again filling this space."
The reconstruction project will transform Captain Mario Fajardo Playground, while creating distinct play spaces for different age groups and abilities. The design increases greenspace within the playground while carefully preserving the park's beloved mature London Plane Trees. In addition to the new playground, the project will deliver fully rebuilt basketball and handball courts.
The redesigned playground will feature universally accessible entrances on all three sides, with one entrance on Kissena Boulevard relocated to better suit public use. Distinct play zones will separate preschoolers and teenagers, ensuring age-appropriate and safe recreational spaces throughout.
Among the highlights of the new playground are swings at 8 and 10 feet in height, offering four types of seating to accommodate children of varying ages and abilities. A spray shower will be repositioned in front of the restrooms, creating a central focal point within the playground. During the off-season, the space will double as a bike riding area for children. Additional park lighting will be added to improve safety after dark, and drainage and plumbing infrastructure will be upgraded. A trash enclosure was also installed near the Booth Memorial Avenue entrance to support efficient sanitation operations.
The park was previously named Booth Memorial Playground and renamed in 1992 to honor Captain Mario Fajardo (1961-1991), a Flushing resident and graduate of the Citadel who emigrated from Ecuador at the age of 12. During Operation Desert Storm, Fajardo was commanding a company of soldiers on a mission to clear unexploded munitions from an airfield in Iraq when a pile of bomblets detonated, killing him and six of his men on February 26, 1991. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.
Funding for this $5.6 million project was provided by the Queens Borough President and New York City Council.