05/21/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 05/21/2026 15:24
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senator Alex Padilla (D-Calif.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration, moved to block the Trump Administration's $1.8 billion "anti-weaponization" fund that would compensate or financially reward convicted January 6 insurrectionists. Padilla asked unanimous consent to pass his No Rewards for January 6 Rioters Act - introduced with Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) on January 6 of this year, the fifth anniversary of the attack - which would prohibit federal funds to compensate or refund January 6 insurrectionists, including by barring the establishment of a victim compensation fund and by prohibiting the Justice Department from entering into settlement agreements. Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) objected.
Earlier this week, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced a settlement creating a special $1.8 billion slush fund for President Trump's Department of Justice (DOJ) to financially award his allies and supporters. This slush fund would ultimately give January 6 rioters - already pardoned by Trump and claiming government overreach - a way to attain taxpayer payouts along with other Trump allies, including Members of Congress, with no transparency or oversight.
"Now, the American people have seen a lot of egregious things since the day Donald Trump came down his golden escalator in Trump Tower to announce he was running for President," said Senator Padilla. "But never before have we witnessed something this brazenly corrupt: An American President effectively suing and negotiating with himself to create a taxpayer-funded slush fund to funnel taxpayer money to friends and allies. This cannot be allowed to stand."
In his remarks, Padilla highlighted statements from the Trump Administration that this slush fund is intended to pay out January 6 insurrectionists who claim government overreach. He provided examples of January 6 convicts who have clearly indicated their expectation of receiving egregious amounts of taxpayer dollars.
"January 6-ers being able to receive money from this fund isn't some loophole or unintended consequence," said Senator Padilla. "Ed Martin, the DOJ pardon attorney whose nomination to be U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia was rejected by this Senate, made it clear that this is the fund's explicit purpose, publicly declaring last year 'you're damn right I want to pay J6ers.' The leader of the Proud Boys says he expects a $2 to 5 million personal payout. Another January 6th convict told CNN he plans to make a claim for $30 million from the public treasury."
The No Rewards for January 6 Rioters Act would:
"Now, the American people have seen a lot of egregious things since the day Donald Trump came down his golden escalator in Trump Tower to announce he was running for President," continued Padilla. "But never before have we witnessed something this brazenly corrupt: An American President effectively suing and negotiating with himself to create a taxpayer-funded slush fund to funnel taxpayer money to friends and allies. This cannot be allowed to stand."
Padilla highlighted statements from the Trump Administration that this slush fund is intended to pay out January 6 insurrectionists who claim government overreach. He provided examples of January 6 convicts who have openly indicated their expectation of receiving egregious amounts of taxpayer dollars.
Earlier this week, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced a settlement creating a special $1.8 billion slush fund for President Trump's Department of Justice (DOJ) to financially award his allies and supporters. This slush fund would ultimately give January 6 rioters - already pardoned by Trump and claiming government overreach - a way to attain taxpayer payouts along with other Trump allies, including Members of Congress, with no transparency or oversight.
During Padilla's remarks, Blanche was meeting with a group of Senate Republicans to defend this slush fund in the face of numerous Republican Senators' criticism. Senator Padilla's remarks highlighted several Republican Senators and former Vice President Mike Pence's statements in opposition to this fund.
The violent mob that stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021, attempting to prevent the certification of the 2020 election results, caused roughly $3 million in damages to the Capitol building, injured more than 100 law enforcement officers, and threatened members and their staff. Damage to the building included widespread vandalism, ruined furniture, shattered glass, broken doors, defaced artwork, and the desecration of the halls of Congress. Convicted January 6 insurrectionists paid about $400,000 in court-ordered restitution to cover the damages they caused. The No Rewards for January 6 Rioters Act would stop the ongoing refunds of fines that were paid as part of their convictions and prohibit use of federal funds to financially award them.
Video of Senator Padilla's remarks is available here and below.
Mr. President,
This past January, on the 5th anniversary of the January 6th insurrection, I introduced the "No Rewards for January 6 Rioters Act" because, as we know, one of the first things Donald Trump did when he returned to office, was to pardon every person convicted of crimes connected to the January 6th insurrection in 2021.
That's right. Not just those accused of crimes. Those convicted in a court of law by a jury of their peers. But for Donald Trump, that abuse of the Constitution's pardon powers was just the beginning.
And since then, there has been a concerted effort to keep going further.
To not only rewrite, to try to rewrite the history of that awful day - but to raid taxpayer funds to actually reward those who ransacked this Capitol.
Those who assaulted law enforcement officers.
Who called for the hanging of Vice President Pence along with members of Congress, and those who tried to stop the peaceful transfer of power.
And so sadly, it was not entirely surprising when, earlier this week, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced a corrupt settlement creating a special $1.8 billion slush fund for Donald Trump to reward his supporters - including the perpetrators of the January 6th attacks.
And January 6-ers being able to receive money from this fund isn't some loophole or unintended consequence.
Let me cite a few people. Ed Martin, the DOJ pardon attorney whose nomination to be U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia was rejected by this Senate, that Ed Martin, made it clear that this fund's explicit purpose, publicly declaring last year that QUOTE "you're damn right I want to pay J6ers." That's Ed Martin.
The leader of the Proud Boys says he expects a $2 to 5 million personal payout. Another January 6th convict told CNN he plans to make a claim for $30 million from the public treasury.
And one other stated, quote "all J6ers will apply for restitution" from the Justice Department's fund. "All of us…[I]t's all over Twitter [and] our group chats." End quote.
To be clear, "All of us" includes the many attackers who have since been convicted of crimes related to January 6 after they've been pardoned by the President who had been convicted of additional serious crimes. Including one man who tried to bribe a child he sexually abused to stay quiet with the promise of this exact kind of payout.
Now, the American people have seen a lot of egregious things since the day Donald Trump came down his golden escalator in Trump Tower to announce he was running for President.
But never, never have we witnessed something this brazenly corrupt: An American President effectively suing and negotiating with himself to create a taxpayer-funded slush fund to funnel taxpayer dollars to his friends and allies.
This cannot be allowed to stand, colleagues.
Now I'm encouraged hearing some of my Republican colleagues agreeing with me.
Beginning with Majority Leader Thune said he's quote "not a big fan" of this slush fund.
Another Republican colleague saying, quote "People are concerned about making their own ends meet, not about putting a slush fund together without a legal precedent. We're a nation of laws. If there needs to be a settlement, let's consider it and Congress should come together and decide on that."
A third Republican Senator said, quote "I've never heard of someone negotiating with themselves and making a plea bargain with themselves, so I think there's no precedent for it."
Finally, former Vice President Mike Pence himself, has said quote "It would be my hope that anyone who engaged in violence against law enforcement or at the Capitol building would never be rewarded with taxpayer money."
Colleagues, this situation is so outlandish some may say that it's laughable. But it's not. What it is it's urgent and it's dangerous.
Because if the Republican majorities in Congress both from the Senate and the House let this happen, then in less than 60 days, $1.8 billion will be transferred from the Judgment Fund to this new slush fund which Congress will have no control and no oversight over.
Senate Democrats saw this coming months ago. But the time to stop it is now. Before it's too late.
Which is why, today, I am bringing up my "No Rewards for January 6 Rioters Act."
Let's stand up for congressional oversight as a unified Senate. Let's pass this bill, and prevent corrupt payouts for before they happen.
And so I ask unanimous consent that the committee on the judiciary be discharged and the senate proceed to the immediate consideration of S. 3582. I further ask that the bill be considered read a third time and passed and the motion to reconsider be considered made and laid upon the table.
Following an objection from Tuberville, Padilla responded below:
Mr. President, a couple days ago, I had the pleasure - not just the pleasure but the honor of meeting the students from California here in the California. So many schools from across the - as so many schools from across the country do, it is sometimes an annual trip to come see, not just a symbol of democracy, the home of Congress - where democracy is in action.
And these students, they're smart. They keep up with the news to know what's going on in our communities and in our state and in our nation. And knowing that sometimes our Democratic institutions are being stressed today, people can be discouraged.
And part of our job, I think, is to have them not lose faith in our system. It's not always running perfect, but it is resilient, and we're close to celebrating the 250th anniversary of the declaration of Independence, and we learn both from the steps forward our country has taken to be a more perfect union and learn from some of the less proud moments of our nation's history, where we tend to always come out a little bit stronger.
And it comes to mind, it comes to heart in this moment after hearing once again these conspiracies and these lies from members of the Senate who should know better either to believe them or to regurgitate them and exacerbate them in this very debate.
The 2020 election was held. Countless lawsuits, both before, during, and after the election. Ballots were counted, ballots were being counted, ballots were being audited. It is clear who won the election. It is not some mass conspiracy to keep Donald Trump from having won that election.
January 6 happened. Don't take my word for it. There's plenty of video coverage. All types of news outlets saw the violence that day. It is undeniable.
The rule of law was followed. People who were accused of involvement on January 6 had their day in court. Maybe some were found innocent. Maybe some were found guilty of lesser charges. Many were convicted, found guilty because of the proof, because of the evidence, by juries of their peers.
Mr. President, Trump sent the message that if he came back into office, there would be pardons. He won the election. I can say it. It was not my choice in 2020. But he won the election. I'll admit it.
And he made a promise to pardon those who were involved with the violence on January 6 in this Capitol. But I refuse to stand here and just let the administration and any Republican member of Congress in either house who agrees with him to set up this slush fund.
It is an offense, disrespectful to the American taxpayer, to our democracy, and to our constitution.
###