United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia

08/21/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 08/21/2026 14:19

D.C. Man Who Stabbed His Romantic Partner Gets More Than 20 Years in Prison

WASHINGTON - James Callen, 42, of Washington D.C., was sentenced today to 20.5 years in prison in D.C. Superior Court for stabbing his then-romantic partner multiple times on July 13, 2024, announced U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. 

"Domestic violence is a relentless cycle of control and intimidation, and breaking that cycle is essential to protecting victims," said U.S. Attorney Pirro. "James Callen's brutality nearly cost this woman her life, and but for the grace of God, she survived. Callen is now headed to where he belongs: prison."

Callen was found guilty of one count each of assault with intent to kill while armed, aggravated assault while armed, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault with significant bodily injury while armed, and three counts of contempt on June 11, 2026. Superior Court Judge Rainey Brandt ordered Callen to the prison term to be followed by five years of supervised release. 

According to the government's evidence, on July 12, 2024, Callen and the victim went to Callen's brother's apartment in southeast Washington, D.C., to hang out. While there, Callen asked the victim to move in with him but became angry when the victim said she did not want to live with him. The next morning on July 13, 2024, while Callen and the victim were in the living room, he went to the kitchen and retrieved a knife and returned to the victim. He stabbed the victim multiple times, slicing her neck, which lacerated her jugular vein. When the victim started to bleed out, Callen panicked and called 911. EMTs arrived and immediately rushed the victim to the hospital before law enforcement arrived. When police officers arrived, Callen told them that the victim had arrived at the apartment already bleeding and injured. Despite the violent attack, the victim survived her injuries.

From September 2024 to February 2025, Callen called the victim numerous times from the D.C. Jail in violation of a court order to stay away from and have no contact with the victim. In those calls, Callen changed his story and attempted to convince the victim that she had accidentally injured herself. The jury learned during trial that Callen had previously assaulted the victim and this was part of a pattern of abuse. Callen broke her leg in August 2023 and gave her two black eyes in January 2024. 

Joining the announcement was Interim Chief Jeffery Carroll of the Metropolitan Police Department.  

In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Pirro and Interim Chief Carroll commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They also acknowledged Assistant United States Attorneys Olivia Hinerfeld and Anne Cotter, who prosecuted the case.  

 2024 FD3 006890 

United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia published this content on August 21, 2026, and is solely responsible for the information contained herein. Distributed via Public Technologies (PUBT), unedited and unaltered, on August 21, 2026 at 20:19 UTC. If you believe the information included in the content is inaccurate or outdated and requires editing or removal, please contact us at [email protected]